"Give me a drink," Noah demanded as soon as he'd sat down on the barstool, looking at Kai in that stupid bartender uniform, "Something strong. I just had to be around teens for the last four hours trying to hear anything useful. If anyone so much as mentions the numbers seven or six again, in any order, I'll be the supernatural calamity aboard this ship."
Pre-emptive missions were the worst. Reconnaissance, spending time around humans, playing dumb and asking questions. All things Noah abhorred. "I mean it, Kai, I need something."
"No, you're underage. You can have a coke, a sprite, I think we have some kind of fizzy water stuff and-- lime juice." Kai looked over the bar, trying to find something his underage partner could drink. Normally, he wouldn't care if Noah drank but he was on the job and not about to get himself into trouble. They were undercover, they weren't supposed to attract attention.
He pulled out a nice cold red bull and set it on the table with a smile. "I can sell you this. It's strong. And you're definitely over sixteen, right?" Of course he was but it was fun to tease.
"I'm going to kick your teeth in," Noah said with a sweet smile that didn't bother reaching his eyes. He sighed and opened the red bull, rolling his eyes while he poured it into the glass. "You are the worst."
That was a truth that could never be repeated too much. Noah looked around subtly, mostly making sure no curious teens had followed him. They got attached so quickly. "I've got nothing so far. Oh, this guy called Toby has weed. I don't think that's all that demonic."
He was sincerely hoping that Kai was having better luck.
"Toby also has weed? He also has a lot of poppers so someone is planning something exciting. I think this is going to be a deeply interesting journey. Twenty bucks says they get kicked off at the next port." Kai had gone around, talked to people but he was also coming up with nothing. He didn't have a clue. "I sense the energy every now and again but never consistent."
So it was basically a bust so far. "But I have made a lot of tips." He reached out and grabbed some peanuts from the bowl, happily shoving a handful into his mouth and then talking around it. "Should I switch careers?"
"Yes." There was a trace of enthusiasm in Noah's voice which, coming from him, was saying a lot. He nodded his head and gave him a thumbs up. "Do it, Kai. I'll cheer for you. I'll let the boss know, don't worry your empty head over it."
He sipped his red bull, which was disgusting in a way that made him crave more. Then he leaned back and tried to look around. "I've met Toby, pretty sure he's lying about having anything. He's gonna get his ass kicked for getting people's hope's up and--"
Noah stopped suddenly, turning his head fully. Had he just seen-- "Fuck."
Yeah, there was no mistaking him. Especially now that he had spotted them and was walking over. Smiling confidently, like the handsome, smarmy bastard he was. "Think I sense the energy now. Did you know he was aboard?"
"Kai." Mukesh stopped by the bar, placing one hand on it. Smiling at him and him alone. "See? This is why I've told you before, your usual clothes hide too much. So much better, something like this. What a vision you are."
"Back off, creep," Noah muttered.
"Hello, sweet boy," Mukesh finally bothered greeting him as well, "How nice you are still working together."
"If I knew, I would have warned you." Kai whispered as he looked up and took in the sight of Mukesh. That smiling/smirking face. It was hard to tell which one it was. Sometimes it looked too joyful to be a smirk but it also didn't look friendly at all.
As Mukesh came over, he braced himself and faced the asshole who was always causing them trouble. "Stop checking me out." Was he hot in this? He looked down at himself and yes, he was trying to work it out. "Ah. It's the waistcoat." That was what made him look hotter.
He looked back at Mukesh and crossed his arms, trying to deter him from further friendly attempts. "You must be the unpleasant energy I can't keep to shake off."
"My darling Kai. I'd never want anything but pleasure for you. Perhaps mixed with some pain." He reached inside his jacket and Noah tensed, his hand closing around his own weapon, ready to pull it out. Only Mukesh merely got his wallet out - elegant and silver and, Kai thought, probably worth more than their lives combined.
Mukesh opened it up and set a platinum card down on the counter. "A martini, please. I am a generous tipper, I promise."
"Yeah, we can imagine. You don't have to entertain this, Kai. What do you have planned, you creep?"
"There's a medical conference on board," Mukesh assured them, "I am here for purely professional reason. Although, Kai, I'd love to combine business and pleasure, if you have room on your dance card."
"I don't mind. I'm pretty bad at making martinis." So he could pay as much as he wanted but he hadn't quite nailed it yet so in some ways, it was a more a cunning attack than anything else. As were a lot of his food and drinks. He started to set up the stuff he needed for the martini, looking at Mukesh with annoyance in between.
"I don't dance." He had two left feet but at least he had awareness of it. He only ever wanted to dance alone in his bedroom. "Stick to whatever professional reason you're here. We aren't exactly looking to cosy up here."
Besides, they had a case to solve and he was hoping to avoid any big fights on a boat. He started shaking the tumbler around, looking at Noah with a playful smile. "My drinks are questionable but my shaking is on point."
"You're already good with your hands, I see. With the right lead, my darling, you could be good on the dance floor too. Even a marionette can cut an impressive figure if the strings are taut enough." Now that Kai was using both hands to shake his drink, it meant that Mukesh was free to drink it in again. How fine a figure he cut in those clothes. He really ought to dress him some time. Before undressing him.
"His eyes are up there," Noah commented, rolling his own eyes.
"And what a fine pair of eyes they are," Mukesh agreed.
"Ugh," Kai commented.
Mukesh ignored him. "Should I be wary of danger, then, seeing as you two are investigating? I'll have to keep my guard up. Wouldn't want to be caught out by a demon."
"Somehow I think you'll be just fine." Kai assured him as he poured the drink into a glass and added an olive. Did martinis usually have olives? Well, this one did and he didn't care to check. He just slid it over to Mukesh with a bright smile. "Enjoy."
Hopefully he hadn't overdone it with the vermouth. Or maybe he was hoping he had. He had to keep his eye on the ball.
"Just keep to your own business and stay the hell away from Noah." He didn't mention himself because he knew he could handle Mukesh but he worried about Noah. He wasn't as strong as him and besides, he had to protect him. He was his little partner. "And you said you tip well."
He looked at Mukesh expectantly and then held out his hand. "Cash is preferred."
Mukesh reached for Kai's hand the moment he offered it out. Noah tensed but even though he made a move, he had no idea how exactly he could intervene. Made his skin crawl, but here he was, once more. Watching Mukesh touch Kai.
"Of course." With his free hand, Mukesh reached into his wallet and pulled out two bills, folded up. Generous tip, as he had said. He shifted his grip suddenly, now holding Kai's wrist. Using that, he pulled him closer, which allowed him to tuck the bills into Kai's breast pocket, letting his fingers linger there.
"I'll keep to my business," he promised, "But that doesn't mean I can't indulge in some private amusement."
"If you wanna sleep with him, it's gonna be more than a measly hundred," Noah informed him. Whatever. They were in this hell together, might as well profit from it at least.
Kai yelped as he was suddenly pulled forward, money in his pocket and for some reason, his hand in Mukesh's. Why did he offer his hand to a guy like this? That wasn't entirely smart. He blinked few times before he came to his senses and yeah?"
He touched him and that got way too weird, right? He turned to Noah for support and the stupid brat turned on him.
"What?! No! No sleeping with me for any amount. I'm not into you." Kai clarified and then gestured at Mukesh with determination. "I just want you to stay out of trouble and stay out of my way!"
"It's sweet that you worry so much about me, Kai," Mukesh said sincerely. Well. He sounded sincere, anyway. He used his free hand to reach for his drink, taking a sip. Too much vermouth, without a doubt. Mukesh licked his lips, shaking his head. "So bitter. But then, we both know I find that addictive."
"Seriously, if you're going to creep on him anyway, you should at least pay me for it," Noah suggested, unsure what else to do. "Pull your hand away already, Kai!"
"Hey! Don't yell at me. Punk." He did pull his hand away! He huffed and then reached out, slapping the brat on the back of the head. He was showing him up and highlight all his missteps. What happened to bluffing together and attempting to prove that every move was intentional? Huh?!
With a sigh, he pinched the bridge of his nose and took a second. "You know, there's a lot of places you can sit in this bad. A nice table out there, with a good view, why not just go there?"
And stop pestering him at the bar in front of his partner!
"There isn't a better view than this in all the world, Kai. Not for me." Mukesh finished his drink and set the glass down, then gave a nod. "I'll enjoy it from further away. I know you get shy."
He walked away and Noah rubbed the back of his head, giving Kai a sinister look. "Y'know, if you could stop blushing around him that would be great." But no, every time Mukesh was around Kai got flustered. "Is that how you react every time some creep hits on you or is he special?"
"Knock it off, you twerp. I flustered. It's weird, I've gone a long time without being hit on by a guy and here I am, facing it constantly." He rolled his eyes and then leaned on the bar, glaring at Noah and then leaning forward to flick his forehead. "As if you don't blush when a pretty boy looks at you. I'm not blind. You'd be the same."
Maybe angrier about it but he'd blush. Kai was like 98% sure. "I don't know what it is. It's weird. Being touched like that. I'm not used to my enemies being ... like that! Who would be?" It was weird.
"Who'd look at me like that?" Drinking his disgusting yet delicious red bull, Noah smiled serenely. "I am a mere child." And the way that Mukesh kept looking at Kai, even now from across the room, it was definitely not child-friendly.
He ran a hand over his forehead where he'd been flicked, trying to actually focus on something other than this absolute disaster. "Do we actually buy that this isn't about Mukesh?"
Hard to say. "I guess it doesn't fit his usual M.O., but I dunno. Might wanna check in with HQ. At least give them a heads up that he's around."
"I'll check in with HQ after my shift but I'm currently working and these bars don't tend themselves. You're a big boy, you text them." Kai took his new fake job very seriously, even if the bar was entirely dead at this time of day and he could easily check in. He just didn't want to get scolded for his expense account again.
"Now run along, explore the ship and find me some exciting leads." He needed more info so they could even begin to form a murder hypothesis - that wasn't just 'it must be Mukesh'. "Go see if that conference is real."
If there was an actual medical conference, maybe there was a legitness to this.
"A more exciting lead than the serial killer who's obsessed with you? Because Toby isn't going to be that, I can tell you that much." Noah rolled his eyes and got up, having at least finished his red bull. "That thing tasted disgusting, by the way. I want another one later."
He turned around and walked off, sighing when some of the other kids had already spotted him. Time to infiltrate the teens some more. He truly hated his existence some days.
What he missed was Mukesh walking back over, taking advantage of the opportunity now that Noah was gone. He leaned against the bar, watching Kai move behind it. "Ah, Kai. Isn't it much nicer when it's just us adults? Not that your little... appendage isn't charming, of course."
Kai took a handful of peanuts and happily munched on them as he started to clean already cleaned glasses. That was what bartenders did in movies so he felt it was a nice way to kill time and stand around. He was looking down at his newly cleaned clean glass and heard a familiar voice speaking to him.
Of course, the second that Noah was gone, Mukesh was back. Of course.
He looked at the other man and offered him a fake smile. "Ah, you again. You know, I prefer him to you so I can't say I agree."
"I can't say that I prefer him to you. He doesn't seem to like me much. I only ever get to see his surly expression. I am certain he'd be quite stunning when he smiles. Perhaps I should simply spend some more time with him. See the cracks in that hardened veneer."
Mukesh looked behind the bar, mostly wondering whether there was anything he could order that was less likely to be ruined by a bad ratio. Ah, whatever. His attention was soon entirely on Kai again. "Are you only here as a bartender? Or do you have any other duties?"
He'd find out anyway, it'd simply be faster if he was told.
"He hates you. You can't blame the kid, given you only bring him misery and pain. Can't say I'm your greatest fan either but I'm better at hiding my dislike. Besides, not smiling at you doesn't really change things." So he may as well smile. Even if it didn't match his true feelings, he just found it easier. He always had. "There are other bartenders, I'm mostly managing the bar by day and dealing by night."
He was excited to deal at the poker table, he hadn't played cards in a while but he had always loved it. Especially when everyone was friendly and having fun. Alas, tensions always rose when money was involved.
"It's five thirty, my darling Kai. I assure you, we are all talked out for the day. Now there is the part I find more tedious and so many others of my profession enjoy all the more. Networking." Mukesh looked around the room, shrugging and then turning back to Kai again. "That's why they all consider an attractive date on their arm a necessity. Most of my colleagues have a different wife every other time I meet them. They keep getting older and the women on their arms get younger."
Such an interesting phenomenon to observe. "Yet none of them are as beautiful as you, with your amethyst eyes."
"I don't know. If they're anything like the girls I saw in the pool today, I'm nowhere near that. They put the work in, you know?" And not just the physical work, the external work. Some of those breasts were just perfect orbs. It was odd but hard to look away from. He huffed a laugh and shook his head. "It's a status thing. When you have the hottest girl, everyone pays attention."
He never really dated much. Alive or dead. He didn't really see much point in it. People were easier on a surface level. More feelings added more complications and distractions. More things to worry over. He had Noah, he had enough to worry about. "Where's your date, doc?"
"I'd never met someone I'd consider up to my exacting standards. That was, of course, before I encountered you, my sweet Kai. Perfection." His eyes were steadily on Kai's body, seeing no flaw. He wasn't leering, simply observing. Appreciating. "So, no. I have no date. Unless your shifts would leave you free to accompany me to dinner some time."
He'd certainly have room on his arm for him. "Regardless, I'm respected in the field and a keynote speaker. I've no need for pointless status symbols, I am quite eye-catching enough by myself. Don't you think so?"
"Nope, sorry, all booked up." What was with this guy? He tried to kill him last time and now he was complimenting his body. What did he think would happen? That it would charm him? After what he did to Noah, he had no desire to get friendly with Mukesh of all people. "And even if I wasn't... y'know." Not interested.
He looked Mukesh up and down, however, and then nodded his head slowly. "You are. If you weren't so rotten on the inside, perhaps you'd be beautiful." And yet, that darkness shined through. When he first met him, he was struck by his handsomeness and his demeanour but now, the illusion was shattered.
"You were your most beautiful when you helped that little girl. Even if it was just a ruse."
"What's the ruse, Kai? Was she not helped?" Granted, from something that he had deviced. Still, she'd lived to see another day. He held up his hands, then reached forward. Placed one of his hands on Kai's wrists, a gentle touch that lingered. "These are healing hands, Kai. That's a fact, just as other things you know about me now."
He didn't mind that Kai now looked at him like this. That Kai now came closer to knowing him. There was a satisfaction in it, truthfully. Very few ever got to know him and live. "It takes a strong-willed man to decide who should live and who should die. I'm sorry that it bothers you so."
"If you cause it and then fix it, it's very different. It's not a net positive, it's just undoing your own work." And he didn't find that quite as elegant and beautiful as a man who would save a child just because he wanted to. He was a sucker for a righteous man - not just because he admired it so deeply but because it just felt right.
"I don't think anyone has the right to decide. You are just arrogant enough to believe you do." No one should be playing God, especially not a sadistic mortal who just seemed to enjoy others suffering. "What bothers me is that you try to play both sides. Virtue and healing but dangerous and deadly."
"The world is not black and white. A difficult truth to acknowledge, I'm well aware, and you are as well. Yet you cling to such simplicity." Mukesh looked at him with something akin to pity, his fingers moving to feel the underside of Kai's wrist, to take his pulse as he held on to him. "I understand you need to protect yourself. I see the fragility behind that power you possess. It makes you all the harder to resist."
Not that he was trying particularly hard to resist him. "I did become a doctor to help people. I still save lives. My motivation for that has never wavered. My convictions won't either. But, yes. I like to decide. It's a way of proving that fate can be governed, do you see?"
"Not really, no. I just think you're a bit of an exploitive jerk. See, doing the exact thing I said you did, and you do it so well." It was getting a bit too real. Too much contact and the way he spoke about him, it just unsettled him deeply. He pulled away from Mukesh and kept his wrist close to himself as he stared at Mukesh for a few moments.
And then he smiled. "Most people decide to be a doctor cause they want to help people or they want expensive cars or prestige. Trying to prove that fate can be governed in probably low on the list of reasons. Kudos." What a weirdly unique reason.
"Do you want a drink or are you just gonna hog the bar?"
"I'm going to get ready for dinner, actually. I need to change into appropriate clothes." Obviously, he was immaculately dressed right now but the jacket was hardly a dinner jacket and the tie wouldn't fit the setting either. He was not going to be seen without the proper attire. "Much as I'd love to, as you put it, hog the bar. Hog you."
What a turn of phrase to use in this context. "You'll be dealing later? Then I shall see you there. Let's see whether it is true that the house always wins, hm? Or maybe I can govern fate."
"I dunno, I think the house definitely always wins." He assumed it was rigged and he was kind of interested to see how and why. Pure psychology or was he going to be cheating his way through the evening. Either way, it was fun! "Try not to lose too much money tempting fate, doc. It's never worth it."
He picked up another clean glass and started to extra clean it again. "Good luck out there."
no subject
Pre-emptive missions were the worst. Reconnaissance, spending time around humans, playing dumb and asking questions. All things Noah abhorred. "I mean it, Kai, I need something."
no subject
He pulled out a nice cold red bull and set it on the table with a smile. "I can sell you this. It's strong. And you're definitely over sixteen, right?" Of course he was but it was fun to tease.
no subject
That was a truth that could never be repeated too much. Noah looked around subtly, mostly making sure no curious teens had followed him. They got attached so quickly. "I've got nothing so far. Oh, this guy called Toby has weed. I don't think that's all that demonic."
He was sincerely hoping that Kai was having better luck.
no subject
So it was basically a bust so far. "But I have made a lot of tips." He reached out and grabbed some peanuts from the bowl, happily shoving a handful into his mouth and then talking around it. "Should I switch careers?"
no subject
He sipped his red bull, which was disgusting in a way that made him crave more. Then he leaned back and tried to look around. "I've met Toby, pretty sure he's lying about having anything. He's gonna get his ass kicked for getting people's hope's up and--"
Noah stopped suddenly, turning his head fully. Had he just seen-- "Fuck."
Yeah, there was no mistaking him. Especially now that he had spotted them and was walking over. Smiling confidently, like the handsome, smarmy bastard he was. "Think I sense the energy now. Did you know he was aboard?"
"Kai." Mukesh stopped by the bar, placing one hand on it. Smiling at him and him alone. "See? This is why I've told you before, your usual clothes hide too much. So much better, something like this. What a vision you are."
"Back off, creep," Noah muttered.
"Hello, sweet boy," Mukesh finally bothered greeting him as well, "How nice you are still working together."
no subject
As Mukesh came over, he braced himself and faced the asshole who was always causing them trouble. "Stop checking me out." Was he hot in this? He looked down at himself and yes, he was trying to work it out. "Ah. It's the waistcoat." That was what made him look hotter.
He looked back at Mukesh and crossed his arms, trying to deter him from further friendly attempts. "You must be the unpleasant energy I can't keep to shake off."
no subject
Mukesh opened it up and set a platinum card down on the counter. "A martini, please. I am a generous tipper, I promise."
"Yeah, we can imagine. You don't have to entertain this, Kai. What do you have planned, you creep?"
"There's a medical conference on board," Mukesh assured them, "I am here for purely professional reason. Although, Kai, I'd love to combine business and pleasure, if you have room on your dance card."
no subject
"I don't dance." He had two left feet but at least he had awareness of it. He only ever wanted to dance alone in his bedroom. "Stick to whatever professional reason you're here. We aren't exactly looking to cosy up here."
Besides, they had a case to solve and he was hoping to avoid any big fights on a boat. He started shaking the tumbler around, looking at Noah with a playful smile. "My drinks are questionable but my shaking is on point."
no subject
"His eyes are up there," Noah commented, rolling his own eyes.
"And what a fine pair of eyes they are," Mukesh agreed.
"Ugh," Kai commented.
Mukesh ignored him. "Should I be wary of danger, then, seeing as you two are investigating? I'll have to keep my guard up. Wouldn't want to be caught out by a demon."
no subject
Hopefully he hadn't overdone it with the vermouth. Or maybe he was hoping he had. He had to keep his eye on the ball.
"Just keep to your own business and stay the hell away from Noah." He didn't mention himself because he knew he could handle Mukesh but he worried about Noah. He wasn't as strong as him and besides, he had to protect him. He was his little partner. "And you said you tip well."
He looked at Mukesh expectantly and then held out his hand. "Cash is preferred."
no subject
"Of course." With his free hand, Mukesh reached into his wallet and pulled out two bills, folded up. Generous tip, as he had said. He shifted his grip suddenly, now holding Kai's wrist. Using that, he pulled him closer, which allowed him to tuck the bills into Kai's breast pocket, letting his fingers linger there.
"I'll keep to my business," he promised, "But that doesn't mean I can't indulge in some private amusement."
"If you wanna sleep with him, it's gonna be more than a measly hundred," Noah informed him. Whatever. They were in this hell together, might as well profit from it at least.
no subject
He touched him and that got way too weird, right? He turned to Noah for support and the stupid brat turned on him.
"What?! No! No sleeping with me for any amount. I'm not into you." Kai clarified and then gestured at Mukesh with determination. "I just want you to stay out of trouble and stay out of my way!"
no subject
"Seriously, if you're going to creep on him anyway, you should at least pay me for it," Noah suggested, unsure what else to do. "Pull your hand away already, Kai!"
What was wrong with this guy?
no subject
With a sigh, he pinched the bridge of his nose and took a second. "You know, there's a lot of places you can sit in this bad. A nice table out there, with a good view, why not just go there?"
And stop pestering him at the bar in front of his partner!
no subject
He walked away and Noah rubbed the back of his head, giving Kai a sinister look. "Y'know, if you could stop blushing around him that would be great." But no, every time Mukesh was around Kai got flustered. "Is that how you react every time some creep hits on you or is he special?"
no subject
Maybe angrier about it but he'd blush. Kai was like 98% sure. "I don't know what it is. It's weird. Being touched like that. I'm not used to my enemies being ... like that! Who would be?" It was weird.
no subject
He ran a hand over his forehead where he'd been flicked, trying to actually focus on something other than this absolute disaster. "Do we actually buy that this isn't about Mukesh?"
Hard to say. "I guess it doesn't fit his usual M.O., but I dunno. Might wanna check in with HQ. At least give them a heads up that he's around."
no subject
"Now run along, explore the ship and find me some exciting leads." He needed more info so they could even begin to form a murder hypothesis - that wasn't just 'it must be Mukesh'. "Go see if that conference is real."
If there was an actual medical conference, maybe there was a legitness to this.
no subject
He turned around and walked off, sighing when some of the other kids had already spotted him. Time to infiltrate the teens some more. He truly hated his existence some days.
What he missed was Mukesh walking back over, taking advantage of the opportunity now that Noah was gone. He leaned against the bar, watching Kai move behind it. "Ah, Kai. Isn't it much nicer when it's just us adults? Not that your little... appendage isn't charming, of course."
no subject
Of course, the second that Noah was gone, Mukesh was back. Of course.
He looked at the other man and offered him a fake smile. "Ah, you again. You know, I prefer him to you so I can't say I agree."
no subject
Mukesh looked behind the bar, mostly wondering whether there was anything he could order that was less likely to be ruined by a bad ratio. Ah, whatever. His attention was soon entirely on Kai again. "Are you only here as a bartender? Or do you have any other duties?"
He'd find out anyway, it'd simply be faster if he was told.
no subject
He was excited to deal at the poker table, he hadn't played cards in a while but he had always loved it. Especially when everyone was friendly and having fun. Alas, tensions always rose when money was involved.
"Shouldn't you be at a conference talk... thing?"
no subject
Such an interesting phenomenon to observe. "Yet none of them are as beautiful as you, with your amethyst eyes."
no subject
He never really dated much. Alive or dead. He didn't really see much point in it. People were easier on a surface level. More feelings added more complications and distractions. More things to worry over. He had Noah, he had enough to worry about. "Where's your date, doc?"
no subject
He'd certainly have room on his arm for him. "Regardless, I'm respected in the field and a keynote speaker. I've no need for pointless status symbols, I am quite eye-catching enough by myself. Don't you think so?"
no subject
He looked Mukesh up and down, however, and then nodded his head slowly. "You are. If you weren't so rotten on the inside, perhaps you'd be beautiful." And yet, that darkness shined through. When he first met him, he was struck by his handsomeness and his demeanour but now, the illusion was shattered.
"You were your most beautiful when you helped that little girl. Even if it was just a ruse."
no subject
He didn't mind that Kai now looked at him like this. That Kai now came closer to knowing him. There was a satisfaction in it, truthfully. Very few ever got to know him and live. "It takes a strong-willed man to decide who should live and who should die. I'm sorry that it bothers you so."
no subject
"I don't think anyone has the right to decide. You are just arrogant enough to believe you do." No one should be playing God, especially not a sadistic mortal who just seemed to enjoy others suffering. "What bothers me is that you try to play both sides. Virtue and healing but dangerous and deadly."
no subject
Not that he was trying particularly hard to resist him. "I did become a doctor to help people. I still save lives. My motivation for that has never wavered. My convictions won't either. But, yes. I like to decide. It's a way of proving that fate can be governed, do you see?"
no subject
And then he smiled. "Most people decide to be a doctor cause they want to help people or they want expensive cars or prestige. Trying to prove that fate can be governed in probably low on the list of reasons. Kudos." What a weirdly unique reason.
"Do you want a drink or are you just gonna hog the bar?"
no subject
What a turn of phrase to use in this context. "You'll be dealing later? Then I shall see you there. Let's see whether it is true that the house always wins, hm? Or maybe I can govern fate."
no subject
He picked up another clean glass and started to extra clean it again. "Good luck out there."